Aug 15, 2011

What You Missed

This past week I was...

Saying "Good Bye"
This past week was the last week with the other counselors.  What a bummer!  The last over night camp where I would join the counselors and all of their children for games and wagon rides and bonfires.  The last week with my summer friends and roommates, the last week living in my cabin.  The final time down the slip'n'slide for the year, and the last epic game of Water Rush.  The last week of summer before Todd returns to the world of the grown-ups that I am still desperately fighting to avoid... at least until next week...
But that's alright, all good stages must come to an end—and I had every intention of making the most of my last moments with everyone.

If only my good attitude had prevailed.... instead I experienced fatigue, a sore throat and a serious case of the chills that soon revealed it's true identity.  By Tuesday morning I was feeling pretty bad and by that evening it was clear that something was incredibly wrong.  I was finally convinced that it was not a small cold that would just leave after an extra nap, and went to visit the nurses.  Anne and Sherry looked me over and I was quarantined.  Fever of 102* and tonsils the size of my fists meant that I was to spend my evening in the clinic.  I had strep.
Well, I wasn't about to spend my hours of confinement alone in the cabin! 1-800-Mommy, and I was soon on my way home—feeling worse than ever.  The people of the clinic were EXTREMELY mean, but they have me some meds and I accepted my fate as I shivered off to bed.

Wednesday morning.  I had been on the antibiotic for a while, so I should be getting better, right?  Nope.  I was so fatigued that it was hard to sit up in bed—in fact, I didn't leave until close to 1:00.  I felt a little better and cried all through "Soul Surfer".  And then it got really bad.  After a super short nap I woke up feeling worse than I had before, and this continued for the rest of the night.  Sending down a ball of broken glass each time I swallowed produced tears and frustration while I started to feel dizzy and an upset stomach soon followed.
After emptying what little was residing in my stomach, the fever finally broke and I was able to fall back to sleep—convinced that I should have gone back to the clinic, and determined to visit my own doctor in the morning.

Turns out I didn't have strep.  I didn't have Mono either.
I had some crazy virus that was out to end my life!  Only it didn't.  It did take me out of Adventure Day Camp for the rest of the week (Wed – Fri), but I was still able to go to Mackinac with my mom's side of the family for the weekend! yay!  And Todd was able to come too—yay again!
So we drove all the way to Mackinac on Friday—right after Todd moved out of Somerset—and let me tell you, that car's seats were not designed well.  My bottom was quite sore after the drive!
But it was a wonderful weekend—so good to be with my family and Todd.  Dad wasn't able to make it because he has a final coming up, so that was upsetting, but I can sympathize with the need to study (and his grades aren't allowed to be lower than mine, so he has a lot to live up to! :P hehe)

Saturday morning!  We wake up, excited with anticipation of the fun ahead on the Island!  And then we look outside.  It was raining.  Supa' hard.
But something like that won't keep my family down!  We spent some time together at the shops, at the pool, and even got some board games for the evening.  We still had a blast and were able to enjoy each other despite the rain.  The rain did end up stopping later in the evening so we had a chance to go outside a little—but the next day on the Island was also tons of fun :)

Now I'm back at camp for my last week.  I can't believe in a week ADC '11 will be all memories.  I've moved out of the cabin and am now living on the other side of the campground—which is super weird! I've never really been over here, because even when I camp with my family, we're just outside where the cabins are, so that's where I'm most comfortable.
It's a little lonelier now (okay, a lot) without the other counselors.  And there isn't much to do in the evenings.  It's weird, but at the moment, not all bad.  I'm enjoying some rest after a busy day.


Britney said...

poor girl! I'm glad you are feeling better :] I miss you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!! YAY!

Hillary said...

Shoot Girl! Snap and a headshake that was some disease! I'm glad your better now :)

Ms.Lo said...

LOL at Hillary!

Britney said...

snap and head shake is clearly my thing :]